• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-MISC but i'm NOT self employed.HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thndarkat

Michigan

I am a recent college graduate. I am employed as an intern at a small book publishing company. When I was hired I never received any W4 to fill out, never signed any paper work, and was just hired in as an intern-To do basic clerical work, answer phones, make deliveries, data entry,and sell overstock of books on ebay.

I received a 1099-misc, $16k+ for about 9 months of work during 2004 and upon taking it to a tax professional i was told that i would have to file as self-employed and pay nearly $4500 in taxes.

Is there anyway that my employer can be held accountable for not withholding taxes from my wages. I am not self-employed, I do not do any work from home, I'm not an independant contractor, I don't this for anyone but this company, in their office during normal business hours. I answer to my boss, all actions on my part are reveiwed by him. I have no property, expensis, commision, insurance, workers comp, etc. I don't participate in anything other then general intern/clerical duties.

I feel totally mislead by this employer and I can not afford $4500 in taxes. Is there anything I can do?

Snipes5

File form 4137 with your return, listing your wages on it, and change the word "tips" to "wages", and using that form and Schedule U, pay your portion of Social Security and medicare taxes.

The IRS will go after your employer his portion.

Did you notice something amiss when your pay stubs indicated zero withholdings for anything, or did they just not give you pay stubs? (Illegal)

Snipes

thndarkat

My pay stubs only have the date, type (which is bill), and check amount. It's printed from quicken as a bill would be paid.

So I would file a 1040ez in addition to the form 4137? ANd just mail those in to the IRS with a check.

sorry if i'm being annoying but I usually do my own taxes via turbo tax because they were so simple while I was in college.

Last edited:

Snipes5

You will have to do form 1040. Don't be intimidated by it, it just has more lines for you to skip.

Form 4137 goes with the return. You MAY be able to do this in turbo tax, but the program may not like it, since it's a bit unusual.

If you have trouble, take it to H&R Block, and explain what I've told you. They should be able to to help you. Ask for an Enrolled Agent.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">