• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-MISC for H1B Visa Holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbabu

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

Hi I am a H1B visa holder, I live in Mass but work in Connecticut, I joined a company through a recruiter and the recruiter got paid by my company, the recruiter paid me 1000 dollars as a bonus from her company which is not the company where I work. I got a 1099-MISCELLANEOUS form from her for the money she sent me, In that form under the number 7 it says non employee compensation : $1000.
Currently I am on EAD and my H1B is still valid for 3 years I am in the process of getting green card. If I furnish this information to IRS will this affect my status since I am not working for the recruiter, can a H1B employee file 1099-MISCELLANEOUS, Is it legal. I need some guidance in this, Kindly help me

abezon

Contact the company & request they reissue the 1099 as a box 3 Other Income amount. If the company won't, you can protest with the IRS, arguing that you performed no services for the company & the money was an award. Or you could just file a schedule C-EZ & then amend & see if you can get the IRS to agree with you & refund the extra employment taxes you pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">