• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-MISC and Moving Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lefty00

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My wife started a new job last year in April. As part of the package they paid her $3000 for moving expenses. The check was written 2 months after she started working there. For tax documentation they sent us a W-2 for her income and a 1099-MISC with $3000 entered on Box 7 for the moving expense reimbursment. The question I have is do I have to file a Sch. C for this? I don't understand why they sent a 1099-MISC instead of just including the amount in her W-2.

Is the SE tax that I would have to pay on the $3000 less than what would have been paid if they included it in her W-2 or something?

Thanks.

Snipes5

If box 7 is "nonemployee compensation", then have the company correct the document so it is listed in the box that indicates "other", as this isn't income from self-employment.

You also have the option of putting the income on line 21 and including a statement with your return that it was for moving expenses, but it is better to have the 1099 corrected.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">