• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099-Misc Tax Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MHSFostermom

I recently accepted a position doing clerical work from my home in Michigan. The company is treating me as a contractor. I am getting paid with zero withholdings being taken out and at year end they will file a 1099-Misc.

My question is, how do I pay taxes on this income and is it a higher rate than if I were to receive a W-2? Do I need to pay taxes quarterly? Am I considered self-employed? Can I deduct any of my expenses?

Thanks for any info!

Snipes5

Yes, it is a higher rate, and you are self employed.

Yes, you may need to pay estimated taxes quarterly. Pay a visit to a professional preparer, advice is free, they can help you figure it out.

Take 30% of each check and put it in the bank for tax time, so you don't have any surprises.

Yes, you can claim expenses. Keep track of your mileage, supplies, etc.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">