• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 When No W-9

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anteater

What is the name of your state? Texas

A business employs an independent contractor to do some work. The knuckleheads running the business pay the contractor (> $600) without first obtaining a W-9. When now asked for a W-9, the contractor has a good laugh.

What are the business' obligations in issuing a 1099? Contractor name and address are available, but can a 1099 be issued without a TIN?

Thanks for any help.

ShyCat

Yes, you simply issue a 1099 to the contractor without a TIN. The IRS will match it to his return.

According to the "2004 General Instructions for Forms 1098, 1099, 5498, and W-2G", page GEN-8...

If the recipient does not provide a TIN, leave the box for the recipient's TIN blank on the Form 1098, 1099, 5498 or W-2G. See Backup Withholding on page GEN-3.

dietrichschmitz

When to W-9

Washington State

I am in a similar boat: A lot of 1099 independent contractors. I use their soc #s for their 1099s. When am I required to have these guys fill out a W-9? Always?

Thanks!

abezon

Any time you might pay them over $600 during the year. Just give them the form & if they don't provide the EIN/SSN, you withhold 30% of the gross payment as "backup withholding" & send it to the IRS. They list the withholding as a payment on their tax return.

johnathandoe

What about $600?

CALIFORNIA.

I had one contractor who I paid $600 for services, and then added $200 to the check for his hotel expense--so I cut a check for $800 total. Do I still need to issue him a 1099?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">