• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099C after settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

syobwoc28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was sued by a debt purchaser in 2008 and we settled before court. In the settlement it was agreed that niether side proved thier case and the debt remained doubtful so there would be no forgiveness of debt. So today I get a notice from the IRS that in 2008 a 1099 was issued on this debt. Should I respond with to IRS with copy of settlement agreement?

syobwoc28

It is signed by Me and my Attorney, thier rep and thier attorney as well as the Mediator appointed by the court.

Even if the judge was involved and it went to appeals and to the Supreme Court, the settlement would not be controlling on the IRS.

syobwoc28

I am just thinking I have a document where they acknowlede the debt was never proven. They cannot forgive what they are not sure if I owe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">