• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 year old judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DDDDDD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New York

12 years ago I got a small claims jusdgement against a friend who I sold a car to but he never paid for. Since the judgement has been filed I have not, knowing full well his financial circumstances, made any attempt at collecting.

Can I write off this bad debt on my Federal income taxes?

davew128

Simple answer, no.
Correct answer, yes.

Non-business bad debts can be deducted as a short term capital loss in the year it is determined to be uncollectible.

Of course the problem is that it would have been deductible......probably around 10-12 years ago when it became uncollectible....

LdiJ

Correct answer, yes.

Non-business bad debts can be deducted as a short term capital loss in the year it is determined to be uncollectible.

Of course the problem is that it would have been deductible......probably around 10-12 years ago when it became uncollectible....
I disagree a bit. It becomes collectable when all reasonable efforts to collect on a judgement fail.

He never tried to collect at all. If the statute of limitations has run out on the judgement, then he can no longer collect.

I would want to research case law before being certain, but my guess is that its non-deductible now, because he never tried to collect prior to the statute of limitations expiring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">