• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 yr old child's prize tax liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gta47

What is the name of your state? New York
My 12 year old son won a trip to Florida that included many "donated" theme park tickets. Received a form (1099?) in his name for $7060. First, I believe that the actual retail value of each prize is WAY under the total they taxed us on - am I entitled to a breakdown? Secondly, a few of these prizes expired 12/31/2004 and we already paid $638 in Federal tax and $288 in State tax on them without receiving any benefit. I'm hopping mad that MAJOR companies cannot "afford" to extend expiration dates to a family that has never been to Florida before and only gave us tickets good for 3 months (while kids are in school no less!) Any advise if I'm entitled to anything back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">