• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 state residences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dave0260

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I live in Nebraska but am employed in Iowa. It is 134 miles, one way, to my place of employment from my primary residence.

In order to save money(high rental costs), I bought a second residence nearer to my place of employment. I reside there from Monday thru Friday and return to my primary residence on weekends as workload allows.

My question(s) follow:

What deductions are available to me as far as living expenses, travel expenses, ownership costs related to my second residence?

Snipes5

You can only claim mortgage interest and property taxes on your second residence, nothing else, unless this is a temporary job, or you have two jobs.

If you just decided to work 134 miles from home, it's still commuting, which is not deductible, nor are any other associated expenses.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">