• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2014 Taxes: Worked in Nevada for 6 months then moved to California but didn't work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Victoria90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (current) and Nevada (until July 2014)

Hi,
I was living in Nevada as a California resident (for school) from Aug 2011-July 2014. So for 2014, I was in Nevada for almost 7 months, but moved back to California in July 2014.

I worked from Jan-June 2014 in Nevada, but have not worked or had any other source of income in California. I actually even still take online classes at the college in Nevada. I know I don't need to do one for Nevada, since they don't have state taxes, but would I still need to file a California state tax or not?

Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (current) and Nevada (until July 2014)

Hi,
I was living in Nevada as a California resident (for school) from Aug 2011-July 2014. So for 2014, I was in Nevada for almost 7 months, but moved back to California in July 2014.

I worked from Jan-June 2014 in Nevada, but have not worked or had any other source of income in California. I actually even still take online classes at the college in Nevada. I know I don't need to do one for Nevada, since they don't have state taxes, but would I still need to file a California state tax or not?

Thanks!
Yes, because you were still a CA resident while in Nevada because you were there for school purposes only. Therefore you will owe state tax to CA for that income.

Victoria90

Thanks for answering. Funny thing is that I didn't file the CA state tax in 2013. I also worked part-time that year in Nevada...nothing happened. Does me living in CA now make a difference in the situation?

LdiJ

Thanks for answering. Funny thing is that I didn't file the CA state tax in 2013. I also worked part-time that year in Nevada...nothing happened. Does me living in CA now make a difference in the situation?
Nothing has happened yet. Its not usual for a state to be behind a couple of years with enforcement. Even the IRS runs a year behind in enforcement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">