• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

31 yrs old being claimed by parent, will that get me in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

globug

What is the name of your state? NJ
My parent repeatedly asks every year to claim me on her taxes, I live completely independently from her, have my own family, (on disaability so I don't file taxes) however she provides nothing for me or anyone else. Do I run the risk of ever getting in trouble for her doing this?

Snipes5

It won't get you in trouble, but mommy is committing tax fraud, and could well go to jail/prison for it.

Snipes

globug

Snipes5 said:
It won't get you in trouble, but mommy is committing tax fraud, and could well go to jail/prison for it.

Snipes
Really? That's excellent news for this is one greedy woman that has taken advantage of every family membe in her midst. How does one go about reporting such activity? Is the IRS really interested in cases on such a small scale, I mean she doesn't get a refund, so she isn't stealing I guess, but it must benefit her in some way.

ablessin

It does not matter whether or not she is getting a refund.

The point is that by claiming you as a dependent, it reduces her taxable income because you get "credit" for claiming a dependent. I think the credit is somewhere around $1500 - I am not sure the exact figure, but I am divorced and I claim my son every other year, and let me tell you, the years I claim him is significantly different tax-wise than the years that I don't.

She could get in trouble, and Yes, the IRS investigates cases...... people are people, they don't just investigate companies.

go to their website and check the "fraud" link
I think they are www.irs.gov

goor luck to you - - - hey - if you're married - your spouse might be able to claim you as a dependent......... it's worth looking into.

LdiJ

ablessin said:
It does not matter whether or not she is getting a refund.

The point is that by claiming you as a dependent, it reduces her taxable income because you get "credit" for claiming a dependent. I think the credit is somewhere around $1500 - I am not sure the exact figure, but I am divorced and I claim my son every other year, and let me tell you, the years I claim him is significantly different tax-wise than the years that I don't.

She could get in trouble, and Yes, the IRS investigates cases...... people are people, they don't just investigate companies.

go to their website and check the "fraud" link
I think they are www.irs.gov

goor luck to you - - - hey - if you're married - your spouse might be able to claim you as a dependent......... it's worth looking into.
Ok...we have a little confusion here...

First, taxpayers don't get a credit for dependents, they get an exemption, which is an entirely different thing. The exemption amount is 3100.00. This exemption would give a tax break of anywhere from 310.00 up to 1085.00 depending on the taxpayers marginal tax bracket. Additional credits are available (child tax credit, childcare credit etc.) for dependents who are children.

People who are married cannot be each other's dependent. However they would normally file their tax returns jointly (even if one spouse didn't work) in order to maximize their tax deductions and exemptions. If someone is living with a partner, and is not married, the partner may claim them as a dependent as long as their earnings do not exceed 3100.00.

ablessin

Thanks for clarifying, I could not remember if it was a credit or an exemption....... either way, in a roundabout way, it lowers your taxable income.... that is why the years I claim my son I do much better than the years that I don't.

I used to know someone who claimed their spouse as dependent because the spouse was disabled....... of course that was a long time ago, so things may have changed.......... either way......

This guy's mother should notbe claiming him

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">