• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd party delinquent tax collectors...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

March of last year, we got a notice from a collection company saying they were hired to collect back taxes we owed to the State of Ga (for 1994) They claimed we didn't file taxes at all, so we promptly faxed them copies of our 1994 Federal AND State tax returns. We didn't hear anything else from them. We got an $86.00 refund from Ga.

Now, we have now recieved notice from yet another collection agency saying the same thing- we owe GA and they've been hired to collect.

Am I required to send my returns every time a collection agency sends me a statement? How many times am I legally bound to even reply to these companies? What can they do if I don't send them proof. Can they get some sort of a default judgement against me??

Thanks, Janet

PS... We searched the lists of Delinquent filers on the GA Dept. of Revenue website, by NAME, and by COUNTY, and we are not listed there.

davew128

First things first, I know nothing about Georgia's delinquent tax collection policies.

That said, I would contact the state BEFORE I sent any type of information to a third party "tax collector". For all you know, the company was a scam trying to get personal information from you.

statute??

Thank-you!! I was wondering-- is there a statute of limitations?? I know the Federal is 3 years. That is, they have to initiate any audits w/in 3 years, but the case can go on forever after that....

Thanx again!! janet

davew128

You are incorrect. The federal statute of limitations TO COLLECT TAX is TEN years not three. If they claim you never filed, the statute to collect would likely start whenever they came up with whatever number they are claiming.

Again, rather than messing around here with maybes and whatifs, CALL Georgia and ask them.

reply to davew...

Ok, so sorry for the error. One last question. If I contact the State of Georgia, and they say I don't owe them anything, can the collection people pursue me for what THEY say I owe. I mean, what if they say they claim they "purchased" the debt? I've heard of that happening in other cases. Could it be the case here, also??

Again, thank you SO much for your help!!! janet

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">