• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401 status after Green Card expiry (out of US for over 5 years)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

testshyam

What is the name of your state? CA (California)

I am a 40 year old Canadian citizen and US Green card holder. I have over $60K in 401K. I moved to India over 2 years ago and have probably lost the Green Card holder status. I have been filing tax returns in US showing that I have paid income taxes in India. What is the legal status of my 401K? Can I continue to hold it until I retire or even further?

Another question. Am I allowed to trade mutual funds in the US market with my money in 401K and also with my funds outside 401K (my savings)?

Thank you.

abezon

Make a visit back to the US. Set up a traditional IRA & a Roth IRA. When you do so, you'll need to have a US address & phone number. **You can't give your financial advisor any reason to suspect that you're not living in the US.** Once you have the IRA established, you can roll the 401k funds directly into it without paying any taxes.

Then, start converting the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA year by year. Figure out how much money you can add to your income without paying any taxes. If you're excluding your India income on Form 2555, & have no other income, you can convert the standard deduction & personal exemption amount each year. For single/no dependents, that's about $8,000/year. If you have kids or are married, it's probably higher.

Later, you can withdraw the Roth IRA money tax free. If the funds stay in the Roth for 5 years, the earnings are all tax free too. Furthermore, under the Canadian/US tax treaty, even if you're living in Canada when you withdraw the funds, Canada cannot tax the money. This is the sweetest tax deal any Canadian can get.

A Roth IRA can be held untiil you die if you don't want to pull out the money.

You can set up a broker account online & trade stocks via internet.

You cannot trade stocks in a 401k, since you don't have any control over how the money is invested. You can find IRAs that let you trade within them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">