• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k withdraw and disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooh1965

What is the name of your state? AZ ... approved ss disability, however, before approval, had to withdraw 401k from past employer due to disability/finances. will i be taxed the additional penalty for withdraw of 401k early, due to disability reasons? what and/or how would i need to file this tax season? since i had not worked in 2002, would or could i claim this 401k withdraw as "earned income" since it was earned income at the time it was placed into my 401k? i took out a portion of the 401k, not the entire amount. single parent , and would like to claim the child tax credit, but to do so, i understand i would have to show "earned income" in order to receive a tax refund this year... any suggestions greatly appreciated...thanks

abezon

If they report it on a 1099-R, they will either designate it as a disability draw or you file a Form 5329 and tell the IRS it was a distribution made due to disability. You don't need earned income to claim the child tax credit. You need it to claim the child care credit or EIC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">