• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k withdrawal penalties for the unemployed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mass401k

What is the name of your state?Massachusetts

Hello and thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me in the below matter.

Basically, during 2004 I have withdrawn $74,488.00 from my 401k plan that was rolled over, Jan 04, due to my current unemployment status, dating back to July of 2003, and I want to know if I have to pay the %10 penalty on top of the federal and state taxes.

I am asking becuase I am still unemployed and do not have any income, including unemployment, to report for 2004 other than the early distribution. I also feel that my physical condition, I am a 41 year old below knee amputee, and a shoulder and limb surgeries during 2004 would someway alleviate me from paying the penalty.

Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">