• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4562 Part 1 Section 179 - How to Fill Out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tabbyapple

I've been filling out Section V for many years and depreciating various groups of equipment using a 5 year recovery period under 200DB. This section is pretty easy as basically the only thing that changes is the % depreciated for each separate group of items on the two 4562 forms I typically use each year.

This year I would like to classify my newest group of equipment under Section 179 under Part 1 of the 4562. The total cost of this group of equipment is $2743.50 so I am wanting to write this entire amount off under Section 179. This new group consists of moveable steal shelving, a drill press, and misc. tools.

I find the IRS instructions to be utterly worthless in how to address this - I frankly don't understand what they want entered at all all in Section 179 under Part 1.

1. Do I initially place this new group under Part V - leaving column (h) blank, writing in the full $ amount in column (i), and then transferring the total from line 29 to line 7 in Part?

OR

Do I totally ignore Part V and place all the information in Part 1 since there will be no regular depreciation?

2. Part 1: Line 1 - What do they mean by "Maximum Amount"?

Is this suppose to be the maximum allowed under the tax laws (which I've seen stated as $25,000 or $500,000 for 2014)?

3. Part 1: Line 2 - Would be $2743.50 correct?

4. Part 1: Line 3 - What is the Threshold Cost? Is that the $200,000 maximum capitol purchases that I've seen stated on tax advice sites?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">