• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

701/2 rule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kruser

Besides 401's and IRA'S are there any other kinds of investments that have to withdrawn from?. Point in question is stock certificates before 401's and ira's?.

Snipes5

Could you rephrase the question using more words? I don't understand what you mean. I also can't find the other threads but I'm almost certain you've asked related questions before.

Snipes

Kruser

At 701/2 your gains from any stock or Mutual fund,401's or ira's you must start to withdraw your funds by law. there is a uniform distribution period table, a minium amount has to be withdrawn from ira's,seps and simples. it was my understanding that from this table at 701/2 this would be 27.4 divided into your total gain of all your mutual funds,ira's, sep's and simples.
I don't know what sep's or simples are?. I worked for a large company say from 1960 to 1980 by payroll deduction , i bought stock in which i recieved a paper stock certificates. say 1981 and on the company changed over to a 401 plan. I know i have to start taking my money out of the 401 and the mutual fund but what about these stock certificates that i got before there was any 401's or ira's?. i do recieve dividens from all three at this time. Thank you for your reply.

Snipes5

First of all, you are talking about three different things:

1)Mutual Funds, which are a VEHICLE for the other two items.
2)IRA (I presume you mean Traditional IRA here, since you talk about minimum required distributions, (MRDs), and there are no MRDs from a ROTH IRA.
3)"401s". To the rest of us, those are 401K plans. They do have MRDs.

"Mutual Funds" don't have MRDs, unless you have them within an IRA or a 401K plan. For example, I happen to have money in several different mutual funds, some of which are in an IRA, and some of which are not.

If you don't know what a SEP or SIMPLE is, you probably don't have one. They are types of IRAs, similar in function to a 401K plan; SEP is for self-employed people, and SIMPLE is also usually used by self-employed or small businesses.

If you have stocks, you have stocks, and you can do whatever you like with them. Cash them in, put them in a safety deposit box (always a good idea), give them away, etc. If they are in your possession, they aren't in either a 401K or an IRA. You can either cash them in, burn them, or leave them for your heirs, and you can do any of these things whenever you like.

I think you would benefit from a sit down with a tax professional who can explain these things to you, face to face. Advice is free. Check your local H&R Block Office. They will probably be open on January 3, and very, very bored, with lots of free time for answering your questions.

Snipes

Kruser

Snipes5: thank you for your time and patience, your answers really cleared up things for me. i wonder why my tax advisor said don't worry about it?. maybe get another tax advisor?. i am going to see a financial advisor in Jan. thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">