• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding dependents to accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lykele

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
New York

Could you tell me the tax consequences of having my parents add me to their bank accounts and/or deed to the house.

Thanks.

seniorjudge

Lykele said:
New York

Could you tell me the tax consequences of having my parents add me to their bank accounts and/or deed to the house.

Thanks.
Facts?

Figures?

Details?

LdiJ

Lykele said:
New York

Thanks.

There would be none for you. For your parents, it would likely require them to file a gift tax return, although they may not have to actually pay gift tax.

ShyCat

Besides the gift tax mentioned by the previous replies, another tax consequence is that you "inherit" your parents' cost basis for the gifted property, likely increasing any capital gains received upon selling that property. You do not receive a stepped up basis like you do when you inherit the property.

Although not tax related, you and your parents need to remember that if you are a joint owner of any property, that property may be liened or seized to pay any judgments against you (e.g., credit problems, personal injury lawsuits, etc.). Your parents should be warned of the risks before proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">