• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding Someone To A Real Estate Title - Tax Implications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnindel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I own a condo. Can I add someone (a relative) to the deed/title so that he/she inherits the property from me? If so, what are the tax implications? Is his/her share of the property considered a gift from me? Would I pay a gift tax? Would he/she? If so, when would it be paid? Or, would the person simply inherit the property from me? Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I own a condo. Can I add someone (a relative) to the deed/title so that he/she inherits the property from me? If so, what are the tax implications? Is his/her share of the property considered a gift from me? Would I pay a gift tax? Would he/she? If so, when would it be paid? Or, would the person simply inherit the property from me? Thanks.
Yes, there are tax implications and gift tax implications. Why not write a will and leave the condo to the person in your will? That eliminates a lot of potential issues.

Yes, that does mean that the will will have to be probated, but that's often wiser than the potential implications.

tranquility

I suggested to the OP in the other thread an enhanced life estate deed (aka ladybird deed) might fit the bill without tax issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">