• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopted Son has SSA-1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FredLooban

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My neighbor who is retired almost 82 yrs old, has an adopted son and he is asking me where to put his son's Tax SSA-1099 on Turbo Tax.

I don't know what to tell him though, his son is 18 years old now; does he have to add it on his income?

But the SSA-1099 money is under his son's name and he doesn't touch his son's money but his son is his only dependent and he filed jointly with his wife.

Thanks a lot!

Fred

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My neighbor who is retired almost 82 yrs old, has an adopted son and he is asking me where to put his son's Tax SSA-1099 on Turbo Tax.

I don't know what to tell him though, his son is 18 years old now; does he have to add it on his income?

But the SSA-1099 money is under his son's name and he doesn't touch his son's money but his son is his only dependent and he filed jointly with his wife.

Thanks a lot!

Fred
A 1099-SSA for a child never goes on the tax return of the parent, no matter what the child's age is. A 1099-SSA might go on a tax return for the child IF the child has sufficient income from other sources to be required to file a tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">