• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult disabled daugher as dependent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

claytontk

What is the name of your state? FL

I am writing for my mom. She has my disabled adult sister living with her. Can she claim her as a dependent? Can she claim head of household? My sister gets SS Disability and a small pension that are not taxable. They are about $1500 a month together. What equates to half of my sister's support? Does that include putting a roof over her head and food on the table? Thank you.

Snipes5

Support includes food, clothing, shelter, entertainment, gifts, schooling, healthcare, medical expenses, and anything else purchased or used for the benefit of the person.

If there is a question about support, have your mother see that your sister saves enough money in the bank that it will push your mother over 50% of support. Money put in savings is not considered used for support.

Your sister's income also needs to be less than $3100 for the year, NOT including social security.

Snipes

claytontk

Her pension is from her previous employer before she became disabled. She paid tax on it at the time of deposit, so she does not pay tax on the disbursements now. She gets this pension check in addition to social security.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">