• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age Limit For Taxable SS Benefits??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bucky4444

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Is there a certain age when Social Security benefits are no longer subject to federal taxes regardless of the taxable income received for the year?

Explaination:
I do my elderly parents taxes and based on the instructions for form 1040, I've determined that part of their SS benefits are subject to federal tax. My father is questioning this as he has had more than one person tell him (SS administrator for one) that because he and my mother are at least 75 years old, their SS benefits cannot be taxed regardless of their income. I've searched the instruction booklets and the IRS website, but have failed to find anything that pertains to this magical age.

Snipes5

There is no magical age. They probably have it confused with the fact that in the past if you were over a certain age, your SS benefits would not be reduced if you were also employed.

Anyone drawing SS who has income above $25,000 Single or $32,000 MFJ will have taxable SS.

Snipes

bucky4444

Thanks Snipes. Your explaination is exactly what I've read and understood to be the law.

Now what about the reduction in SS benefits based on income? Is that still in effect?

Thanks,
Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">