• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The almost moving expense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tparty

I changed jobs at the beginning of the year and moved because of it. By my calculations, the new job is 48.9 miles further than from my home than my old job.

I don't quite meet the 50 mile test for the shortest possible route between the two places, so I know that I can't take the form 3903 moving expense deduction, which is above the line.... but can I take my moving expenses as a job-related miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% floor?

Due to horrendous traffic during rush hour, and a lack of good public transit, the commute from my old place to my new job was about 3 hours each way. My new home is both closer to my old job and near a train system that cuts that to 45 minutes. I hope that this would qualify as necessary for work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">