• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I required to pay this tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rick2517

I live in Kentucky. My Father died in 1999. My Mother passed away on 9/11/2004. I am an only child. I received what small estate there was (less than 10K). Last week I received a letter from the Kentucky Department of Revenue stating that profit on a Bond for the tax year 2001 was left off her 2001 tax return and including interest and penalities, they say she owes a little over $400.00. My Mother did her own income tax returns. Her estate was settled within weeks since I was the only relative and there was such a small amount of money involved. Thus, her estate was settled over a year ago. Am I obligated to pay this tax? If not, what should I send to the Kentucky Department of Revenue? Thanks for some help.

Snipes5

Send them a copy of her death certificate.

I would also check on when that return was filed, because if the statute is 3 years, as it is for most states and federal, they are past the statute anyway, and can't collect anything against that return, even if she were alive and had to pay it.

You are not responsible for this debt, but you should resolve it rather than ignoring them.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">