• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amended '08 Return for New Homebuyers Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troyrmeyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My wife and I are both qualified for the new homebuyers tax credit of $8,000. We were married in the end of April of this year and filed seperate tax returns as we were single for the '08 tax filing. We are closing on a house in the next week and wanted to file an amended return to get the money faster.

My question is: Do I have to file an amended tax return (1040x) for both my wife and I ($4,000 each) since we were single filers in '08? Or can I just file an amended return for one of us for the full $8,000?

Thanks so much!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My wife and I are both qualified for the new homebuyers tax credit of $8,000. We were married in the end of April of this year and filed seperate tax returns as we were single for the '08 tax filing. We are closing on a house in the next week and wanted to file an amended return to get the money faster.

My question is: Do I have to file an amended tax return (1040x) for both my wife and I ($4,000 each) since we were single filers in '08? Or can I just file an amended return for one of us for the full $8,000?

Thanks so much!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can file an amended return for just one of you and collect the full $8000.00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">