• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amending a previous year's tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigliitlerock80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
If you have filed for a previous year, 2014, without realizing that you were under minimum filing level, and paid income tax. However, you later realize you left out a small amount of income by an error. Adding this small amount of income does not push you above the minimum filing level of previous year for your filing status. If you amend your 2014 return using State Comptroller's iFile on the web, it calculates that I get all my state and local income tax back. I used iFile when I filed originally so I'm confused why iFile did not calculate my state and local income tax as zero for having been below min filing level.

1) In Maryland, if you are below min filing level, do you get all your state and local tax refunded no matter what your taxable net income is?

2) Since I did not have to file in the first place for having been below min filing level, do I have the legal option to not amend the original return even if the original return has an error (fairly small amount under $200).

3) If I get a refund from amending 2014 tax, it can take up to 12 weeks so it could after the deadline for filing 2015 tax. Do I need to report this refund that should be coming my way on my 2015 federal return without having actually received the refund, or can I report it on my 2016 federal return?

FlyingRon

From the 502X instructions: If you need more information, visit our Web site at www.marylandtaxes.com. You may also call 1-800-638-2937 or from Central Maryland 410-260-7980.

My gut feeling is that you can't amend your return to "I should have never filed this to begin with." You're stuck with the 2% tax (plus the local rider) you paid and you're not getting that back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">