• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

amusing annecdote

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NA for this thread

This will probably only be amusing to the other tax professionals who post here...but I thought I would share...

I have two brothers who are both self employed (construction)...and who have both dealing with a few rough years due to the housing market.

I prepare taxes for most of the members of my family, including both the girlfriend of one of my brothers and all of HER family members...and including my sister's ex-husband...EXCEPT these two brothers.

Anyway, last week one of my brothers broke down and came to me to do his taxes. He was in a panic because he thought he owed money that he couldn't pay. Using exactly the SAME numbers he used, no variation whatsoever...no cheating...no manipulating, just flat numbers, I prepared a return that resulted in him owing no tax.

So, this week I did the taxes of my other brother's girlfriend, and she told me that he was freaking out because he thought that he owed a bunch of tax that he couldn't pay, and was thinking about not filing at all. I told her that for goodness sake he should at least let me run the numbers and see where he stood, that NOT filing was worse than filing and owing.

Once again, his return resulted in no tax owed...no cheating...no manipulating...just flat and simple no tax owed.

Now both of my brothers are bringing me their tax returns for the last three years to review...LOL.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Apparently there is absolutely NOTHING amusing about tax law. Thank you for sharing.:D

ETA: The above quoted portion is ALL that was showing. LD will probably go back and try again and something will appear but I am not responding to that but just what is quoted. Oh psst... LD, preview eats posts. Sort of a flaw.

LdiJ

Apparently there is absolutely NOTHING amusing about tax law. Thank you for sharing.:D

ETA: The above quoted portion is ALL that was showing. LD will probably go back and try again and something will appear but I am not responding to that but just what is quoted. Oh psst... LD, preview eats posts. Sort of a flaw.
LOL...it wasn't even a preview problem, it was an LDIJ somehow hit some button wrong problem that made it post before I wrote anything. I actually have no idea what I did...LOL.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LOL...it wasn't even a preview problem, it was an LDIJ somehow hit some button wrong problem that made it post before I wrote anything. I actually have no idea what I did...LOL.
I just thought it was funny -- especially after the weekend I had.

davew128

Almost as good as brothers who own a business together and can't understand why (with different lives and families) why their tax result is never the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">