• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annonymous tip to IRS, cheating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodmama1

What is the name of your state?Indiana. My ex has cheated on taxes for years. He overstates the amount he donates to charity. If a bag goes to goodwill, that's $1000, etc. He also claims the max amt ($500?) he can donate to church without a receipt. He is an athiest and doesn't even go. A friend of his mailed anonymous letters to the IRS this year and reported this activity. The "friend" found this behavior offensive and unpatriotic. Will the IRS audit my ex this year? Are they interested in small potatoes like this? He's a really smart guy and only cheated on things he felt he could get away with. IF he's caught, and fined (or whatever they do), will I get audited too because I was married to him for a while?

seniorjudge

goodmama1 said:
What is the name of your state?Indiana. My ex has cheated on taxes for years. He overstates the amount he donates to charity. If a bag goes to goodwill, that's $1000, etc. He also claims the max amt ($500?) he can donate to church without a receipt. He is an athiest and doesn't even go. A friend of his mailed anonymous letters to the IRS this year and reported this activity. The "friend" found this behavior offensive and unpatriotic. Will the IRS audit my ex this year? Are they interested in small potatoes like this? He's a really smart guy and only cheated on things he felt he could get away with. IF he's caught, and fined (or whatever they do), will I get audited too because I was married to him for a while?
Q: Will the IRS audit my ex this year?

A: Ask the IRS.

goodmama1

Ha-Ha HomeGuru. What DOES it take for the IRS to flag someone? By the way, the letter was mailed to IRS in October (so I should have said "last" year). I want my ex to get caught. I don't even care if I end up paying as well (I'd rather not due to being bullied into signing tax forms) Would a phone call be more effective? I'm really just wondering if the IRS even cares when someone cheats on these minor issues that only cost a few thousand dollars.

Chipotle

Are you getting Child support or alimony from him? Because if so I wouldnt want to do anything to disrupt the source of income.

abezon

The IRS goes after cases they think will result in an adjustment. When they are acting on tips, the more info presented by the tipster, the more likely they are to open a case. BTW, depending on the value of the tipster's info, s/he may be entitled to a reward when the IRS collects $$.

goodmama1

The tipster in my case sent anonymous letters. So no reward!! They were extremely nervous that the IRS would give away something that could clue in my ex to his identity. Personally, I'd like to think the IRS would protect confidentiality, but my tipster didn't want to chance it.

abezon

If you do a search on 'reward' at irs.gov, you'll find that the IRS will reward anonymous tipsters if the claimant can provide enough info (date/contents of tip) to verify identity. The IRS also states that it will not divulge the identity of tipsters.

shortbus

goodmama1, I would bet my 2005 tax refund that YOU are the tipster. I don't know if you can trigger an audit of your ex, but enforcement is the IRS's problem -- not yours. Tattling is juvenile and often comes with unforeseen side effects (either procedural or karmic)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">