+ Reply to Thread
    goodmama1 is offline Junior Member

Annonymous tip to IRS, cheating

What is the name of your state?Indiana. My ex has cheated on taxes for years. He overstates the amount he donates to charity. If a bag goes to goodwill, that's $1000, etc. He also claims the max amt ($500?) he can donate to church without a receipt. He is an athiest and doesn't even go. A friend of his mailed anonymous letters to the IRS this year and reported this activity. The "friend" found this behavior offensive and unpatriotic. Will the IRS audit my ex this year? Are they interested in small potatoes like this? He's a really smart guy and only cheated on things he felt he could get away with. IF he's caught, and fined (or whatever they do), will I get audited too because I was married to him for a while?
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmama1
    What is the name of your state?Indiana. My ex has cheated on taxes for years. He overstates the amount he donates to charity. If a bag goes to goodwill, that's $1000, etc. He also claims the max amt ($500?) he can donate to church without a receipt. He is an athiest and doesn't even go. A friend of his mailed anonymous letters to the IRS this year and reported this activity. The "friend" found this behavior offensive and unpatriotic. Will the IRS audit my ex this year? Are they interested in small potatoes like this? He's a really smart guy and only cheated on things he felt he could get away with. IF he's caught, and fined (or whatever they do), will I get audited too because I was married to him for a while?
    Q: Will the IRS audit my ex this year?

A: Ask the IRS.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Our FreeAdvice IRS psychic says no, not this year.
    Ha-Ha HomeGuru. What DOES it take for the IRS to flag someone? By the way, the letter was mailed to IRS in October (so I should have said "last" year). I want my ex to get caught. I don't even care if I end up paying as well (I'd rather not due to being bullied into signing tax forms) Would a phone call be more effective? I'm really just wondering if the IRS even cares when someone cheats on these minor issues that only cost a few thousand dollars.
    Q: What DOES it take for the IRS to flag someone?

A: They won't tell what triggers an audit.

Chipotle is offline Junior Member
    Are you getting Child support or alimony from him? Because if so I wouldnt want to do anything to disrupt the source of income.
    I appreciate your warning, but no, I'm not getting squat.
    abezon is offline Senior Member
    The IRS goes after cases they think will result in an adjustment. When they are acting on tips, the more info presented by the tipster, the more likely they are to open a case. BTW, depending on the value of the tipster's info, s/he may be entitled to a reward when the IRS collects $$.
    This post does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. Postings are based only on the information provided and you should consult an attorney in your area before relying on information contained in this post.
    The tipster in my case sent anonymous letters. So no reward!! They were extremely nervous that the IRS would give away something that could clue in my ex to his identity. Personally, I'd like to think the IRS would protect confidentiality, but my tipster didn't want to chance it.
    abezon is offline Senior Member
    If you do a search on 'reward' at irs.gov, you'll find that the IRS will reward anonymous tipsters if the claimant can provide enough info (date/contents of tip) to verify identity. The IRS also states that it will not divulge the identity of tipsters.
    This post does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. Postings are based only on the information provided and you should consult an attorney in your area before relying on information contained in this post.
    shortbus is offline Member
    goodmama1, I would bet my 2005 tax refund that YOU are the tipster. I don't know if you can trigger an audit of your ex, but enforcement is the IRS's problem -- not yours. Tattling is juvenile and often comes with unforeseen side effects (either procedural or karmic)
    Quote Originally Posted by abezon
    ...The IRS also states that it will not divulge the identity of tipsters....
    I, for one, believe EVERYTHING the government tells me...especially the IRS.

dallas702 is offline Senior Member
    Shhhhhhhhhh....they're listening to all of you.