• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anything i can do...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennifermls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a notice from the Franchise Tax Board of failure of payment and a notice of payment due for a penalty from this. The situation is that i submitted a check (TIMELY) to the tax board i checked my account and noticed they had never deposited the check so i stopped payment on this check with my bank and paid the tax online (I have a confirmation #) four months later i receive a notice from the FTB advising that i have payment due and that my check was returned by the financial institution. And the notice state that these amounts reflects all payments or credits received through 7/9/09. Is there a form or claim/ or notice i can file against the FTB for the penalty.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a notice from the Franchise Tax Board of failure of payment and a notice of payment due for a penalty from this. The situation is that i submitted a check (TIMELY) to the tax board i checked my account and noticed they had never deposited the check so i stopped payment on this check with my bank and paid the tax online (I have a confirmation #) four months later i receive a notice from the FTB advising that i have payment due and that my check was returned by the financial institution. And the notice state that these amounts reflects all payments or credits received through 7/9/09. Is there a form or claim/ or notice i can file against the FTB for the penalty.
I would write them a letter explaining the situation (but do it with better punctuation and explain things more clearly than you did here, use dates etc.) and provide them proof of your online payment.

However...for the sake of anyone else reading this thread...NEVER put a stop payment on a check that you have sent to either the state or federal government, unless you contact the agency in question, and THEY tell you to put a stop payment on the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">