• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

App generating some money build in OPT (F1 VISA) period.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chi

I am in California.
While I was in Optional Practical Training (after F1) I developed a web application on the side that had a very little success and gain a very little money.
I was told that was perfectly fine to work part-time on my own business while I was in OPT.
When I started I thought: "Let's see how well this will go and if it is a success I will register a C-corp and hire other people". I had also thought about opening a company in Ireland as an alternative. But since it didn't go as well as I hoped, I never registered a company.
A few months ago the OPT ended. I stopped working on the application but it was still getting some money in the advertisement on a monthly basis.
Since I didn't need that little money (just to be clear I could not ever pay half of my rent with what it earns) and I was unsure how to handle that money, I have never cashed the checks.
I was thinking that since I didn't cash the checks I could avoid to think about the issue till next year.
Instead the revenues are going to be counted when the application earned them. So the advertisement company wants a W9/W8 or whatever ASAP (they have asked already twice).
I am currently in H1B and I am unsure what I should do with the checks, the taxes and the application.

The little money is not a lot but I would prefer to have in the pocket than waste it.
I am concerned about the revenues that I still get after the OPT ended and I stopped working on the application.
What should I do?

I would like to be complaint with the law (especially not jeopardize my current immigration status), spend as little money on this issue as possible, and eventually minimizing the amount of money that I have to pay to Uncle Sam (still according to the law).

What should I do?

LdiJ

I am in California.
While I was in Optional Practical Training (after F1) I developed a web application on the side that had a very little success and gain a very little money.
I was told that was perfectly fine to work part-time on my own business while I was in OPT.
When I started I thought: "Let's see how well this will go and if it is a success I will register a C-corp and hire other people". I had also thought about opening a company in Ireland as an alternative. But since it didn't go as well as I hoped, I never registered a company.
A few months ago the OPT ended. I stopped working on the application but it was still getting some money in the advertisement on a monthly basis.
Since I didn't need that little money (just to be clear I could not ever pay half of my rent with what it earns) and I was unsure how to handle that money, I have never cashed the checks.
I was thinking that since I didn't cash the checks I could avoid to think about the issue till next year.
Instead the revenues are going to be counted when the application earned them. So the advertisement company wants a W9/W8 or whatever ASAP (they have asked already twice).
I am currently in H1B and I am unsure what I should do with the checks, the taxes and the application.

The little money is not a lot but I would prefer to have in the pocket than waste it.
I am concerned about the revenues that I still get after the OPT ended and I stopped working on the application.
What should I do?

I would like to be complaint with the law (especially not jeopardize my current immigration status), spend as little money on this issue as possible, and eventually minimizing the amount of money that I have to pay to Uncle Sam (still according to the law).

What should I do?
Cash the checks...it is foolish not to do so. Report the income on Schedule C and pay the appropriate taxes.

chi

Thanks for the suggestion. I just would like to make sure that things are good with immigration too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">