• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this an appropriate business expense deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA/MD

I have been scheduled for five months of training in a city about 90 miles from me. Rather than drive back and forth every day, I would like to rent a small apartment about 3 miles from the training location, returning on the weekends to my regular residence. Seeing as this stay is not an indefinite period/under a year, is not my "permanent residence" and is quite a distance away from my house, would I be able to claim the costs of my apartment rental on my 2009 taxes as a non-reimbursed business expense?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA/MD

I have been scheduled for five months of training in a city about 90 miles from me. Rather than drive back and forth every day, I would like to rent a small apartment about 3 miles from the training location, returning on the weekends to my regular residence. Seeing as this stay is not an indefinite period/under a year, is not my "permanent residence" and is quite a distance away from my house, would I be able to claim the costs of my apartment rental on my 2009 taxes as a non-reimbursed business expense?
Yes, it would be legitimate expense. Assuming that your employer does not give you any reimbursement. It still be deductible if your employer provides reimbursement on a non-accountable basis.

Yes, it would be legitimate expense. Assuming that your employer does not give you any reimbursement. It still be deductible if your employer provides reimbursement on a non-accountable basis.
Thanks, LdiJ - no, my employer will not reimburse, as 90% of the employees live in the county that the training will be held. It's nice to know that Uncle Sam is willing to give me a bit of a break on it :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">