• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appropriate IRS Pub w/ needed Capital Gains Info?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKeats

Oregon

I can't seem to find the correct IRS publication... I'm hoping one of you can help.

I know as a married individual (filing taxes as married) we can be exempt from up to $500k in capital gains taxes on a home we've lived in for 2 or more years. I've heard, however, that you can sell before the 2 year mark and be exempt from a % of this $500k cap based on the amount of time in the residence. What I'm trying to find out is how to calculate this percentage. Is there a scale or is it just a straight percentage based on $500k being 100% of 730 days.

Anyway... I'm assuming there's an IRS publication explaining all this. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks!

Snipes5

[$250,000 divided by 24 (months)] x number of months house owned/occupied = reduced excluxion.

Multiply your answer by two for a married couple who each owned and lived in the house for the same amount of time.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">