• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona State Tax Help (using taxcut software)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meltrex

What is the name of your state (Arizona)

Hello,

I'm thinking about filing (Married filing seperate az returns)

There is a couple of questions on the H&R taxcut software that I'm just confused on and not sure how to answer. Any advice or help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Question 1: You and your spouse are filing separate
Arizona returns for 2008. Because Arizona is a community property state, and each spouse's Arizona return must reflect one-half of the community income from all sources in addition to that spouse's seperate income, you may need to make an adjustment to reflect your share of the community income.

Enter your required adjustment for your share of your community income.

Community income adjustment [________]

What do I need to enter here? Do I need to take the total of my spouses income and divide it in half???? This part of my return makes a huge difference in the refund amount. I'm not sure what to put in this part of the tax form.

Question 2:

I'm deducting my mortgage interest (mortgage is in my name only) will I need to split the interest in half for my spouses tax return? Since AZ is a community property state? On the federal part of the return its saying either use Itemized deductions or use the standard deduction.. Since we are filing seperate and I'm itemizing using the mortgage interest.. can my spouse use the standard deduction.. or will both returns need to use the Itemized deduction?

I know there is more than 2 questions here...lol Any help would be great.. I'm pulling out hair on this. Again.. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">