• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney filed deed a year late, Tax/liens found What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sleepycat33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

So here is my nightmare. My girlfriend and I purchased a house in mid-December of 2015. Our Einstein of an attorney filed the deed to my house almost a year later in December of 2016 (We are naive first time homebuyer by the way). This was all discovered as I was trying to get a permit to do some work on my house. Turns out there are liens on the property to the tune of several thousand dollars. My attorney has been more or less unresponsive and I am worried how this will effect my tax returns for the taxes I paid on the property for the year I have been living there. Honestly this guy is a piece of work. I really just need some direction on how to proceed in resolving this matter. Should I contact another real estate or tax attorney? Any advice is much appreciated!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

So here is my nightmare. My girlfriend and I purchased a house in mid-December of 2015. Our Einstein of an attorney filed the deed to my house almost a year later in December of 2016 (We are naive first time homebuyer by the way). This was all discovered as I was trying to get a permit to do some work on my house. Turns out there are liens on the property to the tune of several thousand dollars. My attorney has been more or less unresponsive and I am worried how this will effect my tax returns for the taxes I paid on the property for the year I have been living there. Honestly this guy is a piece of work. I really just need some direction on how to proceed in resolving this matter. Should I contact another real estate or tax attorney? Any advice is much appreciated!
Did you purchase title insurance at the time of closing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">