• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto/Business Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

electra1234

What is the name of your state? MN

In Feb 2004, I started an S-Corp. Prior to that I was a sole-proprietor for 5 years. During the time of sole-proprietor (Dec 2003), my accountant advised me to purchase a vehicle as a business deduction (SUV over 6,000 lbs). On my S-Corp taxes for 2004, I deducted 50% of the business usage of the vehicle including maintenance, gas, etc.

What I am wondering is if I need to change the loan information and title into my company's name in order to maintain this deduction? At the time of purchase, I hadn't incorporated yet, so the vehicle is in my name. Also, if I were to be audited, would I be in trouble for not listing my vehicle's title and loan info, and insurance under my company name even though I legitimately used my vehicle 50% of the time for business reasons?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">