• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding "Double Taxation"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terry Donaldson

What is the name of your state? Oregon.

I recently moved from California to Oregon. I am required to take mandatory distributions from my SEP IRA beginning this year, 2007. Is there any way to avoid having to pay taxes on the distributions to both states? Any help will be greatly appreciated. ~Terry

Last edited:

efflandt

You may have to pay tax to both states the year you move, but not double tax. Income and any deductions should be pro-rated based on the time in each state. See how both states handle part year residents.

The following year, your distributions should only be taxed where you live. Although, if you still have real estate in California that you sell later, California will tax that. But you should get credit for that against any tax you would owe for the sale in your home state.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Oregon.

I recently moved from California to Oregon. I am required to take mandatory distributions from my SEP IRA beginning this year, 2007. Is there any way to avoid having to pay taxes on the distributions to both states? Any help will be greatly appreciated. ~Terry
Yes. You are going to be filing part year returns for each states. Those can be tricky and I recommend using a tax pro to handle your return this year. Make sure its someone who is exerienced in handling part year returns.

mil_90000

Double-tax, part-year or full-year CA resident ?

Hello,

I have a question regarding double-taxation..

I moved to CA from NC in March 06. I read that if i am residing in CA for more than
9 months, i need to file as taxes as full-year resident of CA, v/s part-year.
Pls correct me if i am wrong.

For NC, i need to file as part-year resident.

Since i am filing as a full-year resident of CA, the tax will be on total income, including from NC.

As far as the tax credit goes,
1. I need to claim tax-credit from CA?
2. How do i calculate the amount of tax-credit? I read some information online and
i am confused whether i am entitled to tax-credit as per CA laws..I am using TaxAct
and it shows me $0.

Any inputs appreciated..
Thanks,

LdiJ

Hello,

I have a question regarding double-taxation..

I moved to CA from NC in March 06. I read that if i am residing in CA for more than
9 months, i need to file as taxes as full-year resident of CA, v/s part-year.
Pls correct me if i am wrong.

For NC, i need to file as part-year resident.

Since i am filing as a full-year resident of CA, the tax will be on total income, including from NC.

As far as the tax credit goes,
1. I need to claim tax-credit from CA?
2. How do i calculate the amount of tax-credit? I read some information online and
i am confused whether i am entitled to tax-credit as per CA laws..I am using TaxAct
and it shows me $0.

Any inputs appreciated..
Thanks,

The best advice I can give you is to let a tax pro handle your taxes this year....which is the same advice that I would give anyone who wasn't a full year resident of a particular state. Its honestly worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">