• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Property Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kendrix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohio

City Marysville

We never realized this until last year when we were trying to sell our home but our square footage was completely wrong. We have a 1900 sq ft home and we have been taxed at 2700 sq ft home. The appraiser came out and made the adjustment to our sq ft. Now the problem is that trying to get our money back or credit for the monies that have been over paid. They are telling us by law they can only go back 3 years and that is it. I am looking for anything that states that but unable to find anything. If I owed back taxes I am sure they would sue me for more than 3 years would they not? My question would be what is the legal limit that the city is allowed to go back to reimburse the monies that is owed to us for back over payment of taxes due to their error?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohio

City Marysville

We never realized this until last year when we were trying to sell our home but our square footage was completely wrong. We have a 1900 sq ft home and we have been taxed at 2700 sq ft home. The appraiser came out and made the adjustment to our sq ft. Now the problem is that trying to get our money back or credit for the monies that have been over paid. They are telling us by law they can only go back 3 years and that is it. I am looking for anything that states that but unable to find anything. If I owed back taxes I am sure they would sue me for more than 3 years would they not? My question would be what is the legal limit that the city is allowed to go back to reimburse the monies that is owed to us for back over payment of taxes due to their error?
If they told you its three years, then I am quite sure that it is three years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">