• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back taxes from divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

copsgirl00

What is the name of your state? okla.I will try to be quick.I got separated in 2000,divorced in 2001.We filed joint in 1998 & 1999,my ex-huband was self employed so we owed about$7000 for both years and were making payments until our separation.In the divoce decree my ex agreed to pay all back taxes,but he never made a payment.I consolidated my debt in 2001 and included these back taxes(wanted to clear my name).I filed my own taxes in 2000 and 2001,i owed for these years too and have been making regular payments(I'm down to my last 2 payments now).Now the IRS will not accept payments on the taxes from my marriage because my ex has not filed since we separated,they were tryin to garnish but with him being self employed and not filing,I don't think they can find him to do this.I do not know where he is or where he works.I am afraid that I will now be garnished.Is there any way I can settle this without being garnished or levied??? HELP!!!

abezon

Call the taxpayer advocate program: 877-777-4778. His failure to file since 99 doesn't sound like a reason to refuse your payments for 98 & 99 tax years. Maybe something else is going on in the IRS's silly little computers.

L

loku

From what you say, it sounds like you have an installment agreement to pay the back taxes. Since your ex has not filed, they have revoked the installment agreement, and that is why you are afraid of garnishment.

I think you should call the IRS at the number indicated on your notices and discuss this with the agent in charge of your case. If you can not come to an agreement on this, then contact the advocate.

C

copsgirl00

Thanks for all the advice,I am going to start making calls on Monday.I really don't want garnishments.I just wish they could find my ex and make him responsible for at least part of it.I am working on this also,so some crossed fingers would also be greatly appreciated. God Bless to ALL!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">