• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Debt Tax write-off (From Bankruptcy)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mindy1701

What is the name of your state?
Mindy Johnson
California

I have a loan owned to me and the person has files Bankruptcy.
I have notice of "report of no Distribution" for the loan.

The loan was made in 2001 and none of it has been repaid.

Questions
#1: Can I write-off the loss of this loan?

#2: If so how much?
The Original loan was 10K but with interest it is now around 17K.

#3: If I can write it off, what types of gains can I use it against?
Capital Gains - Normal income - etc.

#4: If I don’t have enough "gains" in a given year can I roll it to the next years "gains”?

#5: I have until Aug 9th to file any "Objections" to the court.
Do I need to find out the "Stated Value" of the loan and "Object" if it does not match my records (interest and such)?
I assume this is going to effect how much I can write-off.

Also I may need to generate some capital gains if these are the only thing I can offset against.

Thanks
Mindy

tranquility

Was the debt created or acquired in connection with your trade or business?

If not, when it becomes totally worthless (when the court makes the BK final), it is a short term capital loss. The "debt" is what is deductible and not the interest on the non-paid debt. Think about it. Did you report the interest as income?

You will then follow the capital loss rules regarding how to reduce your income. (Generally, up to $3,000 more than your capital gain.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">