• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Tax Levy/SSA Auto Deposits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1ynotty

Oregon

I am a disabled widow of a veteran now living in Oregon on about $1600/mo in automatically deposited SSA checks. Checking my account online 10/8 I saw a Tax Levy Fee charged and then immediately reversed on my account. Quickly calling USBank, I was told it was "probably an error" because of the quick reversal/refund, only to today get a USBank letter today saying an OTW will take place on 10/22 and to call the California FTB with questions, which I did and it was closed. I then tried that website which allowed me no account, court-ordered debt nor OTW access with info provided on the bank letter. Researching everything elsewhere online, I am led to believe SSA benefits are exempt from this seizure, as well as exempt as an extreme hardship. I never received any previous notice of delinquent taxes having been homeless and/or transient outside CA until 2010. This must be from CA. in around 2003. I have under $100 in the bank now, as usual after bills each month. Can they do this and if so, will the bank debit/overdraw my account, freeze it until paid or take it from my very next SSA deposit ??? THANK YOU - this is making me ill!

davew128

Well you will need to get hold of FTB and find out what they did and why. FWIW, I HAVE seen this happen in the last year or so on an already satisfied tax debt and the client demanded and I think convinced the FTB to reimburse her for the $100 fee her bank imposed on her for complying with the erroneous tax levy.

LdiJ

Oregon

I am a disabled widow of a veteran now living in Oregon on about $1600/mo in automatically deposited SSA checks. Checking my account online 10/8 I saw a Tax Levy Fee charged and then immediately reversed on my account. Quickly calling USBank, I was told it was "probably an error" because of the quick reversal/refund, only to today get a USBank letter today saying an OTW will take place on 10/22 and to call the California FTB with questions, which I did and it was closed. I then tried that website which allowed me no account, court-ordered debt nor OTW access with info provided on the bank letter. Researching everything elsewhere online, I am led to believe SSA benefits are exempt from this seizure, as well as exempt as an extreme hardship. I never received any previous notice of delinquent taxes having been homeless and/or transient outside CA until 2010. This must be from CA. in around 2003. I have under $100 in the bank now, as usual after bills each month. Can they do this and if so, will the bank debit/overdraw my account, freeze it until paid or take it from my very next SSA deposit ??? THANK YOU - this is making me ill!
SSA benefits ARE exempt from bank levies. You have to bring this to the attention of both the bank and the California FTB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">