• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankrupcy and Foreclosure Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephenf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I file chapter 7 bankrupcy and lost two properties to foreclosure. Now I am being audited and told that I have to pay Federal taxes on both proterties as income? Is this true? I lost both properties in BanKrupcy and did not make any money on them? Please help.

FlyingRon

You should refer this to whatever lawyer handled your bankruptcy. There's not enough detail here to tell us what happened.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I file chapter 7 bankrupcy and lost two properties to foreclosure. Now I am being audited and told that I have to pay Federal taxes on both proterties as income? Is this true? I lost both properties in BanKrupcy and did not make any money on them? Please help.
It is necessary to pay federal income taxes on cancellation of debt income. That is the amount of the mortgage that the mortgage company cannot recoup from selling the home.

However, that income can be excluded from income and tax, if it was part of a bankruptcy.

Therefore no, you will not have to pay any taxes on the cancellation of debt income. You will however have to include it on your return the year that you receive the 1099c, and will then have to file for 982 with your return to exclude the income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">