• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

basis for stocks sold by estate after death of stockholder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penmark

FL

I am the personal representative of my dad's very modest estate. He died in Florida. I sold all the stock in his brokerage account after he died to pay the costs of administering and settling his estate. I am preparing his estate tax return and I don't know the basis of the stocks I sold. Does the step-up basis apply to stocks sold by the estate? If not, how do I determine the basis of the stock (many of the securities were originally held in certificates and later deposited into the brokerage account, so the broker would not know the cost basis). For perspective, I'm only talking about less than $30,000 of stocks spread across 5-10 different securities. Thanks for any help you can provide.

LdiJ

FL

I am the personal representative of my dad's very modest estate. He died in Florida. I sold all the stock in his brokerage account after he died to pay the costs of administering and settling his estate. I am preparing his estate tax return and I don't know the basis of the stocks I sold. Does the step-up basis apply to stocks sold by the estate? If not, how do I determine the basis of the stock (many of the securities were originally held in certificates and later deposited into the brokerage account, so the broker would not know the cost basis). For perspective, I'm only talking about less than $30,000 of stocks spread across 5-10 different securities. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Its the stepped up basis.

FlyingRon

The basis is stepped up to their value at the point of his death. It's probably very close to what you sold them for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">