• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

box 10 in w-2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjsturch

What is the name of your state? Texas

I received my w-2 from my previous empoyer. While I was working there, they had a daycare at the school (I'm a teacher) for employees children. The school did not pay for the daycare. All of the daycare expenses were paid for by the employees through a payroll deduction. Originally they asked us to pay by check, then decided it would be easier to just deduct from everyone's paycheck. In box 10 on my w-2 they entered the amount that I payed for daycare. It seems to me that this is causing me to be taxed on that amount twice (once in my wages reported in box 1 then again in box 10). Should this amount be there even though I was the one that paid for it, not my employer? Or do I need to get this corrected. Any advice would be appreciated.

tbelle

Tn

You are not going to be taxed on the amount in box 10. Box 10 is for reporting dependent care benefits that they paid and therefore your child care credit must be reduced by that amount. Did they pretax your expenses or did you pay for the expenses through a flexible spending account with the school.Either way, you need to talk with the school and find out if you are planning on claiming a credit, because this amount would be deducted from qualified expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">