• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

box 10 in W2 (Insurance premium for wife shown in this box)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suhass

What is the name of your state? California.

In my company, employees are provided health isurance and are required to pay 25% of the premium for health insurance for their spouse. So every pay period this amount is deducted from my pay check. In the W2 the total amount I paid for the past 12 months is shown in box 10 as dependent care benefits. The tax software is adding this amount to the total wages in box 1, which cause double taxation on this amount

My question are:

1. Should this amount be shown in box 10, which is for dependent care benefits, as this amount is not paid by my employer but paid by me.

2. According to IRS spouse is not dependent, thus the amount paid for insurance for spouse cannot be claimed as dependent care expenses. Is this correct?

3. Do I need to get my employer to fix the W2? If he denies then what is my recourse?

4. Is the amount paid for spousal insurance is pre-tax or is post-tax?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">