• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bringing money to the US from Europe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mountain wolf

1. If I bring in my savings from Europe ( $200, 000 USD), will the IRS tax it?

2. If I declare that the money came from selling my apartment in Paris, will the IRS tax it? ( I already have to pay French taxes.)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

There is an income and not a wealth tax in the U.S.

International taxation is hard and more facts would be needed. See a tax professional. While I would tend towards saying no (based on the first sentence), I don't know if you are a U.S. citizen and/of if France taxed the sale and/or what any tax treaties are between France and the U.S.

LdiJ

There is an income and not a wealth tax in the U.S.

International taxation is hard and more facts would be needed. See a tax professional. While I would tend towards saying no (based on the first sentence), I don't know if you are a U.S. citizen and/of if France taxed the sale and/or what any tax treaties are between France and the U.S.
I agree with tranq, but I will emphasize that if the money is simply savings...from already taxed money, and you simply move it into the US, there would be no tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">