• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

business loss tax deduction/credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samit700

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,
This is the first time I am filing tax return when I had a small business last year. Any help appreciated.

Last year from Jan to March, I worked full time and made about $13,000 during the period and paid taxes close to $2300. I then started my small venture in April and invested in some labor and computer inventory. However, the venture was not successful and I closed it down in Dec, taking losses close to $25,000.

Can I show my business losses on my return to claim tax credit for last year? If the tax credit for the business losses exceeds $2300 (taxes I paid on my income last year), how do I claim the remainder?

I am using turbotax to file my taxes and really confused on how to incorporate these details. I want to file my taxes as accurately as possible.

Regards,

Sam

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,
This is the first time I am filing tax return when I had a small business last year. Any help appreciated.

Last year from Jan to March, I worked full time and made about $13,000 during the period and paid taxes close to $2300. I then started my small venture in April and invested in some labor and computer inventory. However, the venture was not successful and I closed it down in Dec, taking losses close to $25,000.

Can I show my business losses on my return to claim tax credit for last year? If the tax credit for the business losses exceeds $2300 (taxes I paid on my income last year), how do I claim the remainder?

I am using turbotax to file my taxes and really confused on how to incorporate these details. I want to file my taxes as accurately as possible.

Regards,

Sam
Its a little more complicated than you might realize. If you want to guarantee that you get accurate results you really should consider using a tax professional.

In any case, much depends on whether or not you set up a separate business entity. Without knowing whether or not you did, its difficult to advise you. However, if you set up an LLC with only one member, that would be a disregarded entity for tax purposes...and therefore you would still file a Schedule C.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">