• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA 540A Multi-state income question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhowe

California, form 540A.

I worked mostly in New Hampshire where I lived for 9 months of 2006. Now, when filing for California 2006 (where I moved back to, didn't like NH) do I need to pay CA taxes on the income I earned in NH? Line 12b says to enter my Federal adjusted gross income, and line 14 will say the same number...meaning my california adjusted gross income is the same as my federal??? I made most of my money in a state that doesn't charge state taxes....

LdiJ

California, form 540A.

I worked mostly in New Hampshire where I lived for 9 months of 2006. Now, when filing for California 2006 (where I moved back to, didn't like NH) do I need to pay CA taxes on the income I earned in NH? Line 12b says to enter my Federal adjusted gross income, and line 14 will say the same number...meaning my california adjusted gross income is the same as my federal??? I made most of my money in a state that doesn't charge state taxes....
You need to be filing a part year return for CA. That means you need to be filing a 540NR, instead of one of the other forms. Get the form and the instructions and you will be able to complete the return and only be taxed on your CA earnings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">