• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is CA completely insane. Wants exact dates of every visit since born.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

What I'm I supposed to put on Sch CA (540NR) Part I, Line 8 and 9?

Here's that portion of Sch CA (540NR) Part I Residency Information:

During 2009:
1 a I was domiciled in (enter state or country)
b I was in the military and stationed in (enter state or country)
2 I became a California resident (enter the state of prior residence and date of move)
3 I became a nonresident (enter new state of residence and date of move)
4 I was a nonresident of CA the entire year (enter state or country of residence)
5 The number of days I spent in California (for any purpose) is:
6 I owned a home/property in California (enter ’Yes’ or ’No’)
Before 2009:
7 I was a California resident for the period of (enter dates)
8 I entered California on (enter date)
9 I left California on (enter date)

The FTB instructions for this form don't even mention lines 8 and 9. TurboTax Help says:

If the Taxpayer, at any time before 2009, entered California for any purpose, including a vacation or a brief business or personal visit, enter the date on this line; otherwise enter "NA"

If the Taxpayer, at any time before 2009, entered and left California on more than one occasion, provide this information on a separate statement and attach it to the tax return.

Now, I've lived in NV most my life and have never been a CA resident. I have been to CA many times since I was a child for temporary visits and such, are they seriously asking me to list each and every trip I've taken to CA since I was born with exact dates?

If so, this has got to be the most insane request I've ever seen on a tax return and there is some stiff competition in that department. :)

If you can help me solve this one, I will be forever indebted to you as you will have prevented my head from exploding, thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

What I'm I supposed to put on Sch CA (540NR) Part I, Line 8 and 9?

Here's that portion of Sch CA (540NR) Part I Residency Information:

During 2009:
2 I became a California resident (enter the state of prior residence and date of move)
4 I was a nonresident of CA the entire year (enter state or country of residence)
Before 2009:

The FTB instructions for this form don't even mention lines 8 and 9. TurboTax Help says:

If the Taxpayer, at any time before 2009, entered California for any purpose, including a vacation or a brief business or personal visit, enter the date on this line; otherwise enter "NA"

If the Taxpayer, at any time before 2009, entered and left California on more than one occasion, provide this information on a separate statement and attach it to the tax return.

Now, I've lived in NV most my life and have never been a CA resident. I have been to CA many times since I was a child for temporary visits and such, are they seriously asking me to list each and every trip I've taken to CA since I was born with exact dates?

If so, this has got to be the most insane request I've ever seen on a tax return and there is some stiff competition in that department. :)

If you can help me solve this one, I will be forever indebted to you as you will have prevented my head from exploding, thank you.
You are doing a 2009 tax return I assume? If so, they are only interested in what happened in 2009.

You are doing a 2009 tax return I assume? If so, they are only interested in what happened in 2009.
Yes, I'm doing my 2009 CA state tax return.

Looks like according to the form lines 1-6 are for during 2009 and lines 7-9 are for before 2009.

During 2009:
Before 2009:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">