• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Wrong SSN entered on 2004. File 540x?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

junk4drew

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I made a mistake entering my SSN on my 2004 state taxes. I filed electronically and it was accepted. I figure I need to file a 540x to amend the form, but after looking at the form and reading the instructions I'm unsure how much of the form I should fill out. Am I heading down the right path?

Not sure if this matters but, my 2004 federal was rejected for another reason and I was able to correct it before it was resent.

Thanks for any advice
Drew

Snipes5

A return will not be accepted by the IRS unless the SSN matches the name that the Social Security Administration has on file.

If you were able to fix it, your problem is solved. An incorrect SSN does not require an amended return.

Snipes

junk4drew

Yeah, thats why my federal return was rejected. However the state return was not and I need to amend the accepted return. I tried to just refile, but I filed jointly and it wouldn't accept the return since my wife's SSN was already taged as filed.

So is the 540X the right form for California? It seems I would only have to fill out part 2 of the form.

Thanks
Drew

Snipes5

You do NOT need to file a form 1040x. Page 2 is if you ADD dependents to the return, not have a typo.

Go down to the nearest local affiliate office of the Franchise Tax Board and explain your problem. They will be able to correct the return in your records.

Also note, if you filed the returns at the same time, the CA return would have been corrected when you corrected the Federal one.

If you can't go to an FTB office, give them a call. Chances are excellent they will cross reference it with your wife's number, and discover the typographical error anyway.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">